The children should be enabled to:
- Locate Ireland on a map
- Realise that Ireland is part of the continent of Europe
- Develop an understanding of Ireland being part of a bigger group/club
- Identify the European Union – 28 countries
- Discuss the UK – England, Wales, Scotland & Northern Ireland
- Recognise the EU flag
Ireland, maps, Europe, continent, countries, globe, European union, similar, different, weather, food, money, currency, flag, club
Map/Globe of world/Europe, EU flag, power point, blank EU flag
Introduction to the lesson:
- Show the children the map of the world on the IWB. Incite some children up to see if they can locate Ireland on the map.
- Discuss the location of Ireland – island country
- Ask the children if they know how many continents there are? Can you name them? Allow them to work in pairs/groups for a minute or two to discuss. Then move on to the next slide on power point and see if they were right.
- Show the children that Ireland is part of the continent of Ireland – along with 51 other countries – can the children name some?
Body of the Lesson
- Show the children the EU flag?Ask them if they recognise the flag?
- How is the flag made up/desgined? (blue background with 12 stars)
- Elicit from the children if they know anything about the EU?
- Discuss the ‘club’ format of the EU
- Discuss with children that there are 28 countries in the EU –next slide
- Can they name some of the countries?
- Do they know if any countries are leaving?
- Discuss how the UK is made up.
Conclusion of the lesson
- Revise quickly the location of Ireland within the continent of Europe.
- Revise the EU – a ‘club’ of 28 countries
- Elicit from the children if they can remember what the EU flag looks like?
Give the children the blank EU flag to colour correctly.